I have been told that I have a good sense of humor, but the fact that I laugh at myself on a daily basis, doesn’t necessarily mean that I am funny… I am just a dork. Soon this theory that people have about me, will be put to the test. I have had the honor to be asked to host the “Unity Brunch Comedy Show” put on by The National Parkinson’s Disease Foundation-Orange County Chapter on Sunday, July 13th, 2014. Of course I accepted and then peed my pants. What have I gotten myself into? I will be going on stage, hosting the show, and introducing the comedians…. all while trying to make people laugh. So how does the Perky Parkie prepare for her stand-up comedy debut?
I have a strict training regimen, which I practice everyday. This consists of:
(*The theme song from the movie “Rocky” playing in the background…)
1. Write down funny things that happen to me on a daily basis.
2. Practice my self-affirmation, “I am funny. I am smart. People like me.”
3. Eat large amounts of Frozen Yogurt, with hopes that a massive brain freeze will produce hilarious jokes.
4. Practice my comedy set in front of a mirror.
5. Come to the realization that I’m really not all that funny and I will suck on stage… then proceed to projectile vomit the Fro-Yo I just devoured.
6. Take a nap.
As you can see, I have some work to do to prepare for the big show, but I am up for the challenge. Although I may be slightly nervous, I am excited to raise money and awareness about Parkinson’s disease. I mean, really, if I do crash and burn, at least brunch is included! Now for my affirmation, “I am funny. I am smart. People like me.”